Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Babies

It is good I left the Baby Care Center when I did. Otherwise, I might decide to stay forever and watch how the vibrant, rose-colored children bloom and grow. In just two weeks time, Pema and Pasang are walking with playful confidence; Kunchok grows more courageous and determined in lifting his butter-ball body on two feet; Norzum laughs more often as she learns the feel of the floor below her stiff-feet: walking is still a long way off, but she sees what is possible. How babies capture the heart: wide-eyed and joyful. Even with tears shed and messes made, smiles and softness close the day with grace. And Curiosity! Always alive and well and spreading her wings and fairy-dust inspiration. I was not allowed to take pictures of the children; it is important to protect the privacy of each family. How I would have loved to share their cherub faces and laughing eyes; their tiny exploring hands and hearts at play. But, with no photos to show, I try and recreate the faces and feelings of the Baby Care Center through haiku. Each haiku is named after one of the children: specifically the youngest of the bunch, who are just learning to walk and talk and welcome you to be a part of the adventure. Especially for those people who know the wonder of working with children, I think you will be able to gather a sense of the baby personalities in the following lines. I hope so: hope you read with joy and a smile.

Kunchok
Roly-poly boy,
Eyes honeydew and laughter.
Stand up, fall down: Bliss

Norzum
Fragile frame sweetness.
Pigeon-toed stiff exhaustion.
Smile; learning to walk.

Pema
Hands reach, eyes open.
Cradle her close, breath softens.
One step more each day.

Jamyang
Pure maple sweetness,
Slow-moving like still water.
Children gather near.

Pasang
Strong and stable smile.
'I see the world in my hand!'
Sweet eyes turn, 'Do you?'

Lungre
I laugh at myself.
At laugh at the sweet chaos.
Three years-old: life's sweet.

I express my gratitude for the privilege of sharing two growthful weeks with such hopeful children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashleigh,
You captured the essence of each child---they always have such distinct personalities even when so tiny. I have a vision of what they are like from the haiku. Thank you for sharing! I love you, Mom
Let us know where you are!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing
continue to fly high
topgun